Why Hire GDG
Your new home is most likely the most expensive purchase you will make in your entire lifetime (unless/until you build another home again). You have probably already heard the stories of unsuspecting clients getting taken by unscrupulous contractors during the building process. But have you stopped to consider that the first step of the process- designing your new home- also has its own pitfalls? There are many types of companies and individuals that will offer their design services to you for your home design.
Let's talk about the differences and their motivations:
- The Draftsman This person may or may not have any formal education in designing homes. More than likely, they have learned through trial and error what works and what doesn't in residential construction. Serious structural considerations like point loading, load paths,proper ventilation and insulation, waterproofing and flashing as well as other proper construction techniques are learned (or not) along the way. This type of person is rarely, if ever, on the "cutting edge" of design trends and product choices. Advantages: inexpensive Disadvantages: Nearly everything else - with a serious lack of detail and no professional liability to cover the project
- The Designer/Builder (that's what it says on his sign!) This may or may not even be true. Many of these people simply employ "the draftsman" in the background and don't bother to inform you. Other builders who actually do their own designs have varying degrees of expertise in design (most learn by trial and error as above); but the real motivations are this - they have you as a captive client with no competition. They are splitting their time between drawing the homes and trying to mangage the construction and are rarely successful at both. Advantages: usually doesn't charge for plans if you build with them Disadvantages: no ability to competitively bid the home; must split time between drawing and building; lack of formal education
- The Artist/Designer This person draws a really pretty picture. It looks good, but wait. Make sure you speak with the builders that have tried to construct a home from their plans (and not in front of them) to see how they actually went together. They don't quite work out like the pretty picture. The roof doesn't cover the structure as drawn and the house no longer looks the same since the framer had to decide on site, at the spur of the moment, how to make it work. And, by the way, that just cost you a bunch of extra lumber and beams they hadn't ordered in the original take-off. Advantages: the house is pretty (if it looks the same) Disadvantages: NO structural considerations and no professional liability
Goldberg Design Group is different. Stephen Goldberg, owner and lead designer, has a formal education in Architectural design from Washington University in St. Louis; he framed homes for two years during summer breaks from his degree work to ensure that he fully understood, from the field, not just behind a desk, how the homes he designs are framed and constructed; he has 28 years of experience designing high-end, custom homes that have been constructed in Central Indiana and throughout the country. If you have looked at the porfolio section of this site, you will also see that the homes he creates are as artistic as they are technically correct in any style that the client wishes to pursue. Consistent time spent travelling, reading, and continuing education keeps GDG's plans at the forefront of current styles,trends and products for your new home. During the planning process GDG can help you find reputable home builders to bid out the project to ensure you are receiving a fair price, or you may select a builder on your own - your choice, you are not beholden to one option.
- Formally educated in Architectural Design
- Concentrates all of GDG's time specializing in high-end, custom homes
- Highly detailed plan sets that leave little room for error while constructing the home
- Professional Liability Insurance covers all our design projects
- Always on the "cutting-edge" of design
- Can assist in finding and retaining a reputable home builder for your project without you being locked into one builder, giving you the ability to get competitive bids on your home
Learn more about our Indianapolis premier design firm online and see our portfolio for a glimpse at our other custom home masterpieces. Call us now at 317-582-1430 to start planning your dream home.